Saturday, November 16, 2013

Where does time go?

No pictures today friends... Just me coming back to say hi. And to let you know that I will be back.

Where does time go?

It seems to get sucked away by other obligations, life in general, depression, inertia... So often, it seems to just pass by... one day turns into the next, and the next, and the next, and before you know it *poof* a whole week has gone by, or a month, or a year...

Almost two years ago, I started working for a communications and design firm here in the city I live in. It's a great place to work, full of fun smart people who are dedicated to writing, design, and serving their clients. We're an eclectic bunch, with varied backgrounds and interests. What we all have in common is an appreciation and respect for each other's expertise and talents and a passion for our own work and interests.

As a workplace, we have many traditions, including our annual literary journal, which serves as both a creative outlet and a small token of our gratitude to our clients and partners. The journal is published just before the holidays and we all look forward to the big "reveal" at our annual holiday party.

This is our second year including visual art in the journal, and I'm very excited about my submission--a diorama that is the "stage set" for a colleague's one-act play that is her submission. I had the opportunity to work with one of our art directors throughout my creative process. What an amazing experience to be able to TALK about what I was creating and to verbalize the thoughts behind my decisions about what to include and what not to include in the scene! I dusted off my literary analysis skills from bygone college days and stretched into the artistic representation of my colleague's play.

Early last week, my art director set up a makeshift photo studio in one of our conference rooms. I was surprised at how I felt when I looked at those first test photos. Having my work professionally photographed somehow legitimized this hobby (obsession) that I have. Adding to the legitimacy I am feeling are the ongoing discussions about visual representation of a piece of writing and the kudos from my colleagues as they curiously poked their heads into the conference room to see what was going on.

I can't wait to share this creation with you all. The team working on this year's publication of our journal, Praxis, is feverishly getting it ready for press. Some of us are still putting the finishing touches on our pieces of writing and art. I cheer my friends across the finish line. I am so blessed to be surrounded by such creativity and camaraderie. This experience has reignited my artistic fire and I'm very anxious to get back to creating minis and blogging about them.

And to all of you I offer this: Take your art seriously, whatever form it takes! Do not discount your talents. Find a community that values your art and encourages you. Do not let others diminish the legitimacy of your art with dismissive comments--they just don't understand. Time has passed, but now I'm back! I'm back to create and to cheer you all on in your own endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment